Monday, April 2, 2012

Defender & Defender 2 (For Android)

Defender & Defender 2 (For Android)


Price: FREE.
Download Size: 6.90MB
App Store Rating: 4 1/2 stars

While I'm usually mostly against trying to play games on a cellular device, this particular game seems to have me utterly hooked. I played the original Defender months and months ago; I gave up on it after being unable to advance past level 50 due to the difficulty and my unwillingness to use actual money to buy items to get me any further. The great thing about this game? It hardly uses any battery.

The Multi-player Aspect

Defender 2 seems to have tried to eliminate the above issue by slightly dumbing down the difficulty and adding a Multi-player aspect that allows you to earn in-game currency to advance your arsenal  even when you are not playing the 'campaign'. While this is particularly helpful, it does get to a point where you are constantly playing against other players whom are your level that have obviously used actual money to buy things that give them a massive advantage.

In saying this I have also found that even though these players have the extra objects and projectiles it's not impossible to win. One only has to make a simple mistake to completely lose it, and if you do lose against another player you still get rewards (no matter how small they may be).

The Upgrades

The original Defender upgrade tree was very linear, and this goes the same for Defender 2. Although the upgrade system is incredibly improved and much easier. Getting new things and better weapons are fine and dandy but some things seem utterly useless; such as a Multi-Arrow that cuts the original damage of a single arrow in half and fires two arrows that do half damage. This seems unessential; yet many of the opponents I face on Multi-player seemed to have jumped on the Multi-arrow boat before upgrading other things. For example; increasing your "Agility" allows you to fire a lot of arrows within a short time frame, and it's very cheap to upgrade compared to everything you need to accomplish to get these Multi-arrows, another reason they are useless.

Unfortunately very early into the upgrading process you will run into the lava moat and magic tower upgrades. These are cheap, but once you have them you cannot upgrade them again without a LOT of magic crystals. 150, to be exact - and you only get 1 - 2 of these crystals per level. This is obviously a tactic to get you to buy crystals with real currency, but it's nothing to fall for. The large lava moat seen in the first picture is actually the upgraded (150 crystal) moat, cut that in half and you have the original moat you can get for under 10 crystals. Upgrading how much it burns the creatures that walk across it could do a great deal of damage, too. (But that isn't cheap, upwards of 7000 coins.)

(Taken from my actual game)

As you can see, these are some of the upgrades. In the top right hand corner you can see the bow I'm using along with my spells. On the left hand side are tabs, the first one is about your strength and bow abilities, the second are spell upgrades, third is your city wall and lava moat upgrades and the last is the bow choices. You unlock more of these bows and upgrades by buying other upgrades - Which is honestly pretty neat.
(The Bow Upgrades)

Improvements

While the game itself is wonderful there are minor improvements that could really enhance the game in my opinion. For example; more upgrades and a less linear upgrade system. More choices would keep more interest and motivation to play onward. More varied monsters to fight against would be a great thing; right now there is less than 5 regular creatures (and I'm on level 72?!) and only one that has any long range ability, not including the boss fights (on levels ending with a 0, such as 40,50,60..) so some variation would be nice. The bow upgrades are almost ridiculous, the "Phantom" bows are the only ones worth even using as they have the abilities of both the green and red bows (Pictured above) combined, so there really is no point having the other ones as available options, considering the bows are pretty cheap anyway. Less repetitive music would also be a nice change.

There are also a few "achievements" in the game, which can be seen when you are choosing to play Multi-player or by yourself.


They can be seen along the top. These achievements are insane and are nothing close to simple. Having more of these that are easier to achieve would be fantastic, and keep me interested in trying to push forward. Some of these achievements include using spells upwards of 1000 times or killing 30,000 monsters. Each of these things gives you a little reward for completing them such as 5% extra experience during battles, but this reward is something incredibly little for something really hard to achieve. These are improvements that would just make the game a little more enjoyable.

So, should I download it?

Yes, yes you should. It's a great time waster and it's 100% free. The systems it uses are fantastic and really keep you interested; I for one want to prove I can achieve the 150 crystal upgrades without using actual money and sadly enough I probably have the time to do so. It's incredibly addicting and before long you'll be wanting to pick it up and play it all night long. Who needs sleep, anyway?

My Rating: 7.0






5 comments:

  1. You explain well, but put a downer on the using real money. I am on level 200 and I have double lava and double magic tower. I havn't spent a penny. I find it addictive on the basis I want to complete the game. The challenge is great and multi arrow is a life saver. The game upgrades are odd. You need to upgrade the right things at the right time or it becomes really hard to play. Give it a go, if there taking more than 4 hits to kill more strength. Too many at the same time more agility. Its an addictive game and the urge to kill that boss in muliplayer while all the other mobs... well.. 7 is fair. 8 is more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!

      Thanks for your reply, It's been so long since I wrote this that I honestly thought it had been long buried in the interwebs. As I mentioned in my other comment, I went on after my review and got to about lvl. 170 before I realised the Multiplayer was fake and was quite put off.

      Either way I managed to get all the Multi-Arrow upgrades and the Lava Moat + Tower, which cost you know how much, and the whole thing was really enjoyable. I do agree that you need to upgrade the right things at the right time, definitely! THe only reason I'd change the rating I gave it would be if they implemented a real Multiplayer, then I'd be happy to, really.

      Thanks for your reply!

      Delete
  2. Multi-arrow is absolutely brilliant - because although the *damage* done by the multiple arrows is reduced, you get knock-back with every arrow. Also it means that any time you would hit one enemy and easily kill them with that one arrow, the first arrow will sill kill them, but the second will hit another enemy, making it more efficient.

    Then of course there's the fact that further upgrades improve the damage again - my multi-arrow stats (level 16+3) gives me 5 arrows at 81% damage, so that's over 4 times the total damage of a single 100% arrow *and* 5x as much knock-back.

    There's a reason *most* of my coins have been spent on multi-arrow - it's *far* from useless; it's one of the most powerful upgrades in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Mr Jon!

      Thank you heaps for your reply, but as you can see this review I did was a fairly long time ago - And what actually happened between then and now is that I did get a lot of the upgrades inc. Multi Arrow and even the Lava and Tower upgrades which cost a buttload of crystals. I went on to about Lvl. 170 before realising the Multiplayer was not actually real, which completely put me off the game, really.

      I do agree with you though, the Multi Arrow ended up being a good asset to acquire. This review was literally my first impressions of the game, before I got utterly addicted, so I think everything I wrote was fair for the time and for anyone wishing to just try it out.

      Delete
    2. I think the thing to learn here is that writing off various upgrades and strategies as useless (including the free or money-only bows, which are great when you're saving up for Final Fantasy - the only bow worth having in the long term) is a bad idea.

      Delete